The "My Apps" tool lets you create and deploy apps on JuliaBox. Apps are useful for:
- Long running work loads - Start your app, close your laptop or do some other work (don't logout though), come back later to see the results
- Web servers - Serve some content using a web framework like Mux.jl, get a link that you can share with other users. Try running the default app to see how it works.
Launch the default app
All users have a pre-installed default app on their image. Click on the "My Apps" icon to open the dialog.
Hit the "Deploy" button to start the default app.
The "Link" button should become active after about a minute. Click on it to see the app.
After you close the "My Apps" dialog you should see the "myapp" app on your dashboard.
Click on it to open the controller for the app. Here you will find the following tools:
- Status: Shows you the status of the app. Click the button to get the latest status
- Short URL: A human friendly link that you can send to other users
- Delete: Stop and delete the app from your dashboard
- Stop: Stops the app if it is running
- Start: Starts the app if it is not running
- Link: This is the same link as that which you see when you deployed the app. It is a direct link to the app and is long and not human friendly. Hence, we recommend that you use the "Short URL" described above.
Some things to note
- Logs: Your app logs can be found in the
logsfolder in your home. You should see this folder in your Jupyter front page.
Restarting an app: First click the "Stop" and wait for your app to be shut down. This will not take more than a few seconds. Click the button to check on the status of your app. Once your app is shut down click the "Start" button.
If you delete your app the corresponding julia code will not be deleted
You can only create 4 apps at a time. To increase this quota please contact email@example.com
The julia code for the default app is in the file
/juliabox/myapp/main.jl. To view this in Jupyter first copy it to your home using the terminal.
- The app has access to any file on your disk as well as access to the internet.
Making your own app
To create your own app:
- A julia file containing the code that you want to run
- Give the app a name and mention the path to the julia file as the "Runfile" in "My Apps" window. Make sure you haven't used the same name for another app.
- Hit "Deploy"